Château de Crémat
CREATION OF THE CELLARS
In the 1st century, on the current location of Château de Crémat, the Romans settled down and dug tunnels, still used today to mature and preserve wines.
THE REBIRTH OF THE VINEYARD
In 1906, Antoine Mari, a wine merchant, had the chateau built over the underground tunnels of ``Li Plana di Mari.`` He gave a new life to the Bellet vineyard after the damages caused by phylloxera.
THE ROARING TWENTIES
In 1923, Irène Bretz, the extremely wealthy shareholder of a large US railway company purchased the estate. She started some reorganization works under the supervision of the architecture firm Dalmas, that worked on the construction of the Carlton Hotel in Cannes. Already the owner of the legendary Negresco Hotel, she entertained all the stars the Riviera can offer, including a certain Coco Chanel. Rumor has it that she got her inspiration from the initials of the Château de Crémat, two interlaced Cs, to create the logo of her prestigious fashion house...
CREATION OF THE APPELLATION
In 1941, Pierre Thomé, the new owner of the Château and President of the Union of Wine Producers received the Protected Designation of Origin (AOC) for the Bellet wines. It is the only French appellation integrated into a metropolis: the totality of the vineyard is in Nice.
A NEW BEGINNING
The year is the landmark for the switch to organic farming, together with a modernization of the vineyard by small touches. And always the wish to make great wine.